Malta is known for a vibrant nightlife. There is a massive range of nightclubs, wine bars, restaurants, and pubs. The music scene also offers a range of options. There are plenty of festivals during the summers in Malta. Malta is never dull in the winter months, either.
When you think of islands in the Mediterranean you think of lots of sunshine, azure waters and a rich history. But that’s not all on Malta, you can also go out very well.
Here are the best places to go out in Malta:
- Paceville: ‘the place to be’. The main center where you can go out seven days a week.
- Bugibba, Qawra and St Paul’s Bay. Here you will find numerous small pubs.
- Outskirts of Mdina. Here you will find the open air clubs (only open in the summer months). Gianpula/ Numero Uno.
- Valletta and Sliema. Plenty of bars and wine bars.
- Birgu and Mdina. Here you will find mostly wine bars.
Popular nightclubs in Paceville
- Havana (St. George’s Road, St. Julian’s. Free admission.) This is one of the most popular bars in paceville. Havana has 6 bars and two dance floors.
- Sky Club Malta (Dragonara Road, St. Julian’s) The largest indie club that is around Malta is called Sky CLub Malta. It can hold 3400 people. Many parties and festivals are held here. Prices vary by event.
- Shadow Club (Triq Santa Rita, St. Julian’s. Free entry). This club has three bars and is known for its cocktails.Dez bar is very popular among young people.
- TwentyTwo, (Level 22, Portomaso Tower, St. Julian’s) . At the top of the skyscraper you will find Club 22. Elegant and stylish. It looks like a living room inside. Admission is free except for private occasions.
5 Popular Bars and Cafés
- Saddles (address: 132 Main Street, Spinola Bay, St Julian’s) This bar is located on the bay and is popular with locals. It is a small bar and the bar is usually very busy. The atmosphere is excellent, Drinks are spot on and there is a big screen playing sports. A bar with a nice atmosphere and good music.
- The Dubliner (address: Gorg Borg Olivier Road, St. Julian’s). A pleasant Irish Pub with good and cheap pub food. Sports are shown on screens and there is a lively atmosphere. On Saturdays after 12:30 there is standard live music. Prices are cheap compared to back home (shooters €2, beer €3.40)
- Bar Native (Paceville Main steps – Triq Santa Rita, St. Julian’s) The best Latino bar Malta has. Great food (tapas) and happy hour every night. The prices are good because for less than 6 euros you have a cocktail there. Shooters are €2.50
- The Long Hall Irish Pub (address: St. George’s Road, S. Julian’s) This is an Irish Pub more in the classic sense of the word. Prices are as written above and there is a pleasant atmosphere. Great place to hang out with your friends.
- The Nordic Bar (Paceville Main steps – Triq Santa Rita, St. Julian’s) > This bar is a cross between a pub and a club. There is always a good DJ. The prices are excellent and there is always a happy hour at the beginning of each night.
Tips and info for going out in Paceville
Admission prices: The bars and clubs in Paceville have free admission. Unless the bar or club is hosting an event.
Opening hours and times: Officially, the hours are from 21:30-04:00. But before 23:00 you will find few people there. So come late. Get something to eat before you head to Paceville for drinks.
Legal drinking age: You may need to show ID if you are young. The legal drinking age in Malta is 18. If you are younger, you will not be able to buy drinks in stores.