If you are planning your trip to Malta independently, it can be a bit of a headache working out how to get here and how to transfer to your accommodation. Luckily it is pretty straightforward and you have plenty of different options to choose from. Below we will take you through your options and offer some top tips to save you both time and money on your trip.
Most people choose to fly to Malta and will drive to the destination airport and park there. The problem is that this is unnecessarily expensive and it can be stressful to find a space during peak times.
Luckily there is an easy solution! You simply need to book in advance using an airport parking comparison platform. For people travelling from the UK, Parkhero is a good example. It has a simple to use comparison tool that allows you to find, compare and book airport parking in just 5 minutes. If you are looking for parking near Heathrow Airport, for example, all you need to do is choose your airport from the tool, enter the days you want to travel and hit ‘Search’. Seconds later you will get a choice of all the available parking services listed from the cheapest to the most expensive. Simple! Narrow your choice further with filters or choose the best one for you based on the price. For similar websites for your country, simply type ‘compare parking at … airport’ into a search engine.
Flying to Malta
There is one main airport on Malta, Malta International Airport providing great value flights across Europe and beyond. Some of the main airlines include Ryanair, easyJet, Air Malta, TUI, Alitalia, and Emirates amongst others. To find the best prices on flights, make sure to book during the week rather than at the weekend!
Malta only has one airport, Malta International, that provides a fantastic choice of flights to destinations across Europe. Some of the main airlines include Ryanair, easyJet, Air Malta, TUI, Alitalia, and Emirates amongst others.
The airport is well-connected to the rest of this small country, so you will have no difficulty reaching your accommodation. Below we have put together a list of your main options.
By private transfer
- Pre-book comfortable airport transport from Hello Malta and we will pick you up directly outside the airport
- No waiting in line and we will take you directly to your accommodation
- Modern, air-conditioned vehicles driven by friendly, professional drivers
- There are 24/7 taxis services to and from the airport but there may be queues at peak times
- Pre-paid fixed rate tickets can be purchased from a booth in the Welcomers Hall
- To Valetta it costs €15, to Mdina €18 and to Ċirkewwa (for the ferry to Gozo) €32
- Bus station is located opposite the Departures Hall
- X1, X2, X3 and X4 buses will take you to all the main towns on the island and links to Gozo ferry options
- Tickets can be purchased in the Arrivals Hall and on the bus and cost around €2
- Many hotels also provide shuttle bus services from the airport
- If you plan to visit several places on the island it could be a good idea to hire a car
- There are several companies operating from the airport such as Avis and Budget but you will find the best prices by booking online
Ferry to Malta
One of the best ways to experience Malta for the first time is from the sea. The view of Valletta as you approach on the ferry is a magical site! You can also combine a holiday on Malta with a holiday at the ferry departure city. Tickets for the ferry can be purchased for as little as €30.
- Catania, Sicily to Valletta with Virtu Ferries takes around 4 hours and sails 5 times per week
- Pozzallo, Sicily to Valletta with Virtu Ferries takes around 2 hours and sails 11 times per week
- Salerno, Campania to Valletta with Grimaldi Lines takes around 27 hours and sails once per week
The ferry port is near Valletta and you can easily find bus connections around the city and then to the rest of the country. Cars can also be hired at the ferry port.
So, there you have our top tips to help you reach us here in Malta. We hope you will join us on one of our tours and if you are looking for more inspiration for your trip, make sure to check out our news page!